Thursday 23 February 2012

Who's the Monster?


During those fifteen minutes of night-time, where any area not aglow with torch light are free for the dark-seeking monsters to roam, an interesting thought occurred to me.

During the daylight, I arm myself with a sword and torch light and aim to light up the many caves in the game. I do this to ward-off or, if I can, kill the zombies and skeletons inhabiting them. Are these actions any different than what the “monsters” attempt to do to me during the night?

Perhaps they see me as the light-seeking monster that comes out when the moon goes down? Perhaps they only wish to perform their nightly duties, just as I wish to perform mine in the day. They must scurry back to the safety of the dark when the sun begins to rise, just as I do when it sets. Perhaps they spend their nights gathering the resources they need to protect themselves during the day, and those that attack my fortress do so only as a brave act of distraction?

With this in mind, why is it that I set off on my adventure with a perceived sense of moral high-ground? Being the only human in a game filled with zombies and skeletons, it is I who is the freak. Maybe the little zombie children check under their wardrobe every day for the fear and fabled Human.

No comments:

Post a Comment